Friday, January 9, 2009

Pen Review - Stipula Etruria Alter Ego

Ok, let's get back to my decadent hobby and review the Stipula Etruria Alter Ego.



Stipula is Italian made and the richness of the celluloid is what attracts me. The bright salmon orange with brown veins is bright but not loud. The silver trimmings softens the orange and goes well with the overall look. The original nib was dual toned but I swapped it for a single toned 18k gold rhodium plated 0.9 mm italic nib. For looks, this one gets 5/5.



For an Etruria, the Alter Ego is slightly weighty. My other Etruria is the Ocean Blue and that is much lighter. This extra weight is attributed to the piston filling system. For some people, this may be an issue but the weight gives a solid feel of the pen in my hands. For size and weight, 5/5.


(Alter Ego sits 6th from the left)


Nib performance is exemplary. Perfect. I have yet to encounter issues with any Stipula nibs. I may be just lucky. The italic nib has soft edges so it glides smoothly on paper as you write. Nib performance 5/5.

(Bias? Looks like everything is 5/5 so far)

The gripping section has just the right length to facilitate writing comfort. I noticed that most Stipula pens are designed with a modest length gripping section. For me, that's important. I can write for a spell without getting tired with this pen. Writing comfort 5/5.

So the Stipula Etruria Alter Ego scores an overall rating of 20/20 from me. Just perfect. Pricewise, the Etruria would sit in the mid range and requires my saving for it. But well worth the money spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment