Wednesday, March 4, 2009

do i have a life?

I had a session with my new boss yesterday and one of the question asked was about my interests outside of work. I found it difficult to answer. So, to save myself, I answered fountain pens and being sarcastic (which I usually am anyway).

A chat with a friend last night brought me back to the same topic though it was presented differently.

I'm beginning to wonder if my life is at all interesting. 
I have never given it much thought really. 
Till now.

What do I do when I get home from work?
First stop is usually to check on emails. And surf for a bit.
Then I start on the books I want to read.
And then...? Nothing really. To bed.

And weekends, I start off again with being on my mac.
Then on with my books.
And write a few letters.
Back to the mac.
Then back to my books.
Snap a few pictures.
And if there are no events planned, that's what I would do the entire day.

Bloody bunkers!! I have a totally dull life!
Absolutely uninteresting.
Nothing to shout about.
Nothing to be proud of.
Nothing to share.
Nothing achieved that contributes back to society (apart from my income tax).
Terribly BORING!

When I get home, I am relaxed.
I am not unhappy in any way.
In fact, I'm contented.

But reflecting back on what I do on a daily basis, how do I respond to the question, "So what are your interests?"

Reading, writing and fountain pens? Ugh! Cliche.
Or, I could lie (not likely) and say mountain climbing (I must be joking) and feeding other people's babies (extremely unlikely) and taking care of my pets (they are all dead anyway).

Oh, I would so NOT be a friend to me...!

5 comments:

  1. not boringlah. just very urbanish.:) big difference.

    uh-oh...do i hear midlife crisis creeping up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what you do EVERYDAY!ish ish..:)

    It's boils down to the fact that it's a matter of choice.

    Midlife crisis? Nah,kakak..kalau macam tu he has been having that for the last 5 years or more!kah kah kah!I doubt if it's anything close to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing cliche about reading. i’ll tell you one thing that will stop me, if you’ll pardon the cliche, dead in my tracks: too much originality.

    i say embrace the cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are writing,surfing ,working
    blogging , working , have loads of
    nice friends and all that! I don't
    think you are bored just keep going you are not a couch potato!

    ReplyDelete
  5. erkk i was abt to ask the same question as the others.. are u having a midlife crisis? But i thought you said you aren't there yet? hahaha.. CHILL!

    -niza-

    ReplyDelete