Sunday, June 24, 2007

The other pen makers...

Rafil invited me to accompany him to Pen Gallery, one of the few established retail stores in Kuala Lumpur carrying major and obscure pens from around the world. I refused at first. Though curious, I didn't want to be tempted. But I gave in, obviously.

My dictionary of pen makers and brands expanded exponentially that day. There was Sailor, Laban, Marlen, Kaweco, Stipula, Senator, Aurora, Montegrappa, Visconti, Caran D'Ache apart from the more familiar brands like Pilot, Faber Castell, Dunhill, Porsche Design, Pelikan etc. I was like a kid in a candy store. So many wonderful writing instruments. So so many. And so so pretty. My eye particularly focused on the Sailor 1911 demonstrator pen, having tried Rafil's Sailor, I had secretly wanted to own one.

The Sailor was out of my price affordability, so I was safe. But try as I might, I knew resistance was futile. I was 'borg-ed' and caved in when I spied a white ivory looking large pen in one of the display case. Lai (the shop owner) seduced my senses and took the pen out of the display case and let me try it. When I came to, I had already paid for it and was carrying it home, smiling.

That first pen that opened the floodgates was a Laban Kaiser. Next entry, review of the Laban Kaiser.





No comments:

Post a Comment